The groundhog hath spoken…we get six more lovely weeks of winter! Phil crawled out of his little hole on Friday and saw his shadow which means we’re going to freeze for six more weeks.
Why do we trust a rodent to predict the weather? Well, this tradition began on Feb. 2, 1887 in Punxsutawney, Penn. Local newspaper editor Clymer Freas drummed up the idea and his band of followers went up to a site called Gobbler’s Knob, which is where the inaugural groundhog became the bearer of bad news when he turned around and saw his shadow.
This being said, here are some tips for keeping warm over the next several weeks:
- Wear a hat: Studies show that you lose heat from anything that is exposed – even your head!
- Layer up: Keeping your core warm is the first step to staying warm.
- Keep your thermostat at 70 or above: This will help prevent your pipes from freezing or (even worse) bursting.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages when possible: Alcohol has a tendency to drop your core temperature.
- Indulge in foods that keep you warm: soup, spicy foods, hot coffee and tea to name a few!
Stay warm, friends!