Have you found yourself in a situation where you need an attorney? Deciding on an attorney is an important decision and should not be made lightly. Here are five things to keep in mind when choosing an attorney:
1. Experience/Success-- Research the attorney and firm to determine their experience and success in the type of legal issue you are facing. Also, ask around the community to see if others know about the firm. Finally, keep in mind, former clients can be a great source of information on how the attorney or firm represented them in their matter.
2. Accessibility-- Ask the prospective attorney how accessible they will be. It is important as a client to be able to talk with your attorney via phone or in person, so you can get advice or ask questions. Often, the initial meeting can be a good indicator of how accessible the attorney will be if they are hired.
3. Location-- It is often helpful if the attorney is located in the area where you live or where your legal issue is taking place. This can make your life much easier, especially when you need to meet with them often.
4. Personality–- It is very important to like the attorney and/or firm that you are hiring. You must be able to trust them and feel confident they are looking out for your best interests.
5. Fee/Payment– Finally, it is important to ask the prospective attorney how they will be charging for their services. Many attorneys require a fee regardless of the outcome of the case. However, others may charge a fee only if they recover. Just make sure you talk with the attorney and completely understand before retaining them to represent you.
Please keep in mind this is not an exhaustive list of things to consider, but, hopefully, it will help guide you in hiring the right attorney for you! If you’re in need of an attorney call 1-888-4-JUSTICE or visit bordaslaw.com.