Did you know that September is National Piano Month? The month is celebrated by paying tribute to pianists, piano music fans and piano makers. There is a strong history behind this musical instrument that so many learn to play. Here are five things that you may not have known about the piano:
1. The first piano was invented by Bartolomeo di Francesco Cristofori in Padua, Italy, around the year 1700.
2. There have been design changes to the piano with the most tremendous being in the 1790s and 1860s.
3. The four basic types of pianos include the Spinet, Console, Studio and Grande. The Spinet is the smallest and the Grande is the largest.
4. The piano is made of more than 12,000 different parts and requires 230 strings to generate the full sound range.
5. Learning the play the piano improves motor skills for children and aged people, helps reduce anxiety and stress, and enhances hand-eye coordination.
Whether you play the piano or enjoy listening to piano music, we can all agree that it is an amazing instrument. Happy National Piano Month!